Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Running on Empty

Due to the gas prices, I have a tendancy to wait as long as possible to fill up my tank. Last night was no exception. As I was leaving work that little red "gas tank" light came on. Well, for me that means I can go another 15 miles before I have to fill up. So I set my trip meter and headed over to see my sister. Of course I did not remember or notice the little red light when I got back in my truck to go home. So yes, you have guessed it. I ran out of gas. I was 1/4 a mile from my house too. It was not a big deal because I just walked home and got the gas can, but it did make me think.
How many of us do the same thing in our spiritual lives? We allow ourselves to drain down spiritually to the point that the warning light comes on. Of course that just means we can go another 15 miles. We get so caught up in life that we don't take the time to fill up our spiritual tanks. I see fellow Christians in my church family that fall into this trap all the time. And yes, I am guilty as well. So when you get done blogging today, go fill up your tank!

3 comments:

cwinwc said...

I think blogging with brothers like you helps me refill my tank.

Steve Puckett said...

Good spiritual application, bro. I am an Alabama native myself–originally from the Tri-cities area of Northwest Alabama.

Peace.

Jordan W. said...

cwinwc - Thanks for the kind words. Your blog is what motivated me. I always look forward to your entries.

Steve - My family is from Limestone County, west of Huntsville. We are about as backwoods as you can get.