Thursday, October 25, 2007

Oh Fill My Cup

Our Midweek Young Adult class at church is currently in a study of the Holy Spirit. It has been an amazing and transforming study for us all. Until now, I really don't remember the Spirit being mentioned very much in church. We would quickly read through any mentions of Him in scripture and on occasion refer to Him as part of the Godhead. Whenever a question was raised about Him, the panned answer of "He works through the Word" would be recited.
Now that we have been into this study for several months, I am both amazed and ashamed. I am amazed at all the Spirit tells us about Himself in His word. I am ashamed at how ignorant I have been of His power and work. Just one such passage is Ephesians 3:14ff. Here Paul shares an amazing gift, the source and purpose of strength in the inner man. My spiritual strength comes from the Holy Spirit as He works within me. How in the world did anyone ever get the idea that the Spirit works only through the Word? I asked my dad that question last night and he gave me another panned answer that I won't bother to share. But as for me, I trust that God has filled me to the fullness of Him. Praise God!

1 comment:

cwinwc said...

He has my Brother, He has!