Friday, October 12, 2007

Evergreen Elders

I have known for some time that our church family is blessed to have Godly Shepherds. They are true Shepherds who lead their flock with love, compassion and wisdom. But the events of the last two days stand as a great reminder of their love and our great God.

On Wednesday night I went to Bible Study but I was not really "in the zone." I was there in body but not in spirit. One of our Elders came up to me, wrapped his arms around me and said, "Jordan, start talking, just let it all go." So I did, I went on and on about my sister. I talked about her faith, her pain and how difficult it has been to see her "wither away." We sat there in front of everyone and cried and prayed together. It was truly an encouragement to me, but I figured that would be the end of it. I was wrong.
Last night my doorbell rang. Standing there were all four of our Elders. They had a big potted plant with them that they lugged into my living room. After the regular hugs and casual conversation, they began to explain the plant. Each Elder had something to say. They read scripture, read poems and prayed. They told me that this plant was an evergreen tree. They went on to say that they believed the evergreen tree was a good representation of my sisters spirit. They said that in the dead of winter, the evergreen will continue to produce new foliage. Likewise, even though her body is wasting away, like this tree, her spirit is becoming more and more new (like Jesus)everyday. They encouraged me not to focus on the outward body, but her inner person who is "evergreen." Wow, I was blown away. And again I thought that was the end of it.
This morning my mother called me. She said that an evergreen tree has been planted outside my sisters window with a note that read "We will come by and explain later, the Elders." Wow again! God is good!

2 comments:

cwinwc said...

"Wow" a third time for your elders and how God is working through them to minister to you and your family.

Please pass on to my fellow elders that I would love to use their "evergreen" technique. Powerful.

leslie said...

these are amazing people...