Thursday, November 1, 2007

Sing Me Into Glory

For obvious reasons, my sister has been thinking and talking about the day when she will leave this earth. She has planned her funeral in detail and has already talked to everyone who will be a part of the service. She does not want my parents to have to deal with any of that. She has even seen to it that everything has been paid for and all arrangements made.
It has been difficult to discuss these things with her but I also admire her for it. Last night I dropped by to see her after midweek Bible study. I brought her a cd of the previous Sunday worship, including the singing. As we were listening to "Marvelous Grace" she began to cry. I immediately turned off the cd and apologized for making her sad. She told me that she was not sad but as happy as she has ever been. She then took my hand and asked me to make her a promise.
My sisters request was "if I go slowly and you are here, have everyone sing me into glory, I can't think of any better way to go home." It was very difficult for me to hear that request but very easy to make the promise. I cannot help but be reminded of Paul's statement in Philippians 1, "For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain."

2 comments:

cwinwc said...

Your sister is a special person. Thank you for sharing her with us.

All of you are in our prayers.

leslie said...

have you heard that song, there's a stirring deep within me...? a friend's mother had that sung at her bedside and at her funeral.. it haunts me every time i hear it; it is so beautiful and appropriate.

your sister is so very brave.

i'm with cwinwc, thanks for sharing her with us.